SalmoSim is a continuous salmon gut fermentation system aimed at simulating microbial communities present in three major gut compartments of salmon: stomach, pyloric caecum, and mid-intestine.
SalmoSim has the capacity to represent generalized marine or freshwater lifecycle stages. We aim to use the system to:
• Understand niche colonisation and microbial community assembly in the salmon gastrointestinal tract.
• Fully characterise the taxonomic diversity and biochemistry of the microbiomes of salmon with divergent energetic phenotypes.
• Develop tailored microbial communities that will maximize nutritional energy harvest from aquaculture feed.
• Predict the impact of novel feeds or feed additives on gut biochemistry and digestibility.
• Act as a test bed for pro-pre-syn-biotic efficacy and drug delivery.